Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Canyon Meadow Marathon Report

June 3rd, 2010 - There are plenty of marathon reports on blogs and honestly, they mostly do a better job than I could of describing the race. But to give some basic information, my training had been a little weak this spring, but a couple of heal and ankle minor injuries had cleared up and I was feeling better. The previous weekend (Memorial Day)  I had been visiting my parents in Chicago and had planned to run the Madison Wisconsin Marathon. It was the start of a very hot summer and with the high temperatures and humidity forecast, they cancelled the full marathon. I still went and had a decent half marathon run. But with only 2 marathons completed in 2012 so far, I decided to look for another race the following weekend.

 I checked the Coastal Trails schedule and they had their semi-annual Canyon Meadow run, which was new to me (one of my criteria) and not too hilly (another criteria) and less than an hour from my home - perfect, so I signed up.
Views from the top of the hills

I hadn't been doing much hill and even less trail running, so my expectations weren't high. I also had spent the previous two days driving from the North Bay to Los Angeles and back to pick my daughter up from college. I got up early and drove out to Oakland and the weather and the park were beautiful. I got to briefly meet the amazing Yolanda Holder who was race walking this marathon the day after completing the very difficult Mt. Diablo marathon on the previous day.
One of my favorite running photos... a lucky shot.



Not a great day, but it really went as well as I expected. I think I ran/walked the first loop in about 2:10 and then I added another 10 minutes on the second loop and finished in 4:30. It goes in my books as my 62nd marathon/ultra.








I brought my camera, but ended up not taking too many photos. One, because I was exhausted, but also because there weren't as many vistas as I had expected. Most of the trail was running through forest and trees, which is nice, but difficult for a novice photographer to take a picture. Especially while I'm running.
One of the few spots where the trail was wide and level.







 As always, Wendell and the Coastal Trail group was well-organized and put on another great race. I'm looking forward to doing a few more with them later this year. Hopefully I'll be in better shape for some hill climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment